Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: I. pumila from SIGNA seed, 0 by IndaShade

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright IndaShade

In reply to: I. pumila from SIGNA seed

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I. pumila from SIGNA seed
IndaShade wrote:
Out of the ten Suslik seedlings that I planted, two of them were yellow and looked very much alike. Here is the second one blooming yesterday (and not quite open yet.)

That IS a teal color on the fall of the other one, and I have some others blooming that have the same characteristic. Hopefully the wind won't ruin them before I get pictures of them today. :-(

IrisMA, do color breaks really occur by using species? That's very interesting! Is it because we are using the same genes over and over and a shot of something new gives breaks?

paja, SIGNA is a very worthwhile organization and you will enjoy the very informative newsletters they send out too. You get the species seed list once a year in late winter and they have all sort of interesting things. This year I started I. lutescens, a couple of I. variegata's, some aphyllas, and I. astrachanica (which may not survive my climate, but I'm giving it a shot anyhow.) I got all of these seeds from SIGNA.

Glad to hear Spring Peeper is doing well for you. I would love to see a picture of it when it blooms for you. I think I will have a limited amount available this year, as well as a couple of other SDB's that I will be registering. It seems like it's going to be a pretty good year (knock on wood.) Just say NO to late hard freezes!