Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: does st john's wort leaf out late or is it dead?, 0 by rcn48

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rcn48

In reply to: does st john's wort leaf out late or is it dead?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of does st john's wort leaf out late or is it dead?
rcn48 wrote:
A little late finding this thread but hope I can offer some useful information :) There are over 425 species of Hypericum and it seems there is a lot of confusion regarding their hardiness. For example, H. androsaemum 'Glacier' is listed in PF as hardy to Z5, yet I'd be more inclined to believe Forest Farm's rating of Zone 7 for this plant as Dirr reports the straight species, H. androsaemum, as hardy for Zone 6 to 8.

beakerlj, you may be lucky and be able to keep your 'Glacier' alive as the snow cover I would assume you receive over the winter might provide enough insulation to at least keep the roots alive. However, you'll probably have the same problem I have with Hypericum moserianum 'Tricolor' - every year I have to cut it back to the ground :( I get frustrated with the plant every spring and contemplate yanking it! Even though it's late getting started, fortunately it's a fast grower and by mid summer it's 3' tall with gorgeous variegated foliage. I have the same problem in the gardens with Hypericum androsaemum 'Albury Purple' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76625/ and Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76629/. They both look miserable early in the spring but once the foliage finally appears I'm quite happy to leave them alone and once they flower and set fruit in the fall I'm reminded once again why I have to be patient with them :)

Patti mentioned 'Blue Velvet' - now this is one I NEVER complain about! Hardier than most, Zone 4, it's evergreen in our Z6 gardens. It looks a little shabby by the end of winter but by May the new foliage emerges and it's spectacular! I love its compact habit and even when it's not in bloom the blue-green foliage is attractive in the garden. This picture doesn't do it justice because it was taken in July when it was almost finished blooming and the light was too bright to capture the "blue" foliage.