Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: 3 I need help putting names to, 0 by HappyJackMom

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HappyJackMom

In reply to: 3 I need help putting names to

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 3 I need help putting names to
HappyJackMom wrote:
Oh Gregpap, please don't pull the labels you do have! If you want to hybridize your iris, it would be a terrible mistake not to know the parentage of a beautiful iris you couldn't patent. How wonderful it would be for your children to have a parents name on a wonderful new cross. It is very interesting to keep records on ones own genealogy as it would for the plants or animals you may have. I found that out as a young mother when we raised Siamese cats. Later the same with Chinchillas. The idea of cross breeding is to improve the breed, no matter what it is. If you take two short, ugly, prone to root rot iris and have to wait the two years or so before the offspring bloom. You will probably end up with what you started out with. What a disappointment that would be for your children, and yourself. So keep all your beautiful iris NOID & named and enjoy them. Those of us on this forum just want to help you understand why it's important to keep them labeled. I'm sure all of us have NOIDed iris in our gardens from lost or broken labels, I know we do too. So, have fun and hugs to you for getting your children interested in gardening. It's a wonderful hobby that will last them a lifetime.

~ now she gets off her soap box and slithers out into the garden ~