Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Bayan Ficus honored historical in my town , 0 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

In reply to: Bayan Ficus honored historical in my town

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bayan Ficus honored historical in my town
tropicbreeze wrote:
We've got a huge Banyan beside the Arnhem Highway that was declared a historic tree some time back. It's a long straight stretch of road and if there's any widening it'll put a kink in the road to keep back from the tree. The tree's growing there naturally, they're natives. It towers over the road and looks quite impressive.

On the Atherton Tableland in Queensland there's a Banyan called the Cathedral Tree, its statistics are amazing. It has a girth of 24 metres, needing more than 24 people linked hand to hand to join up. Height of 48 metres, about 5 storeys. Canopy extends over 2000 sq metres, about the area of 2 olympic swimming pools. Estimated to carry about 1000 kg of leaves, without counting all the epiphytes and vines growing on it. Dwarfs everything around it so you can't get a true perspective unless standing near it. As far as I'm aware it doesn't have historic status, but it's in a nature reserve of its own.