Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Restless natives of the Top End, 0 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

In reply to: Restless natives of the Top End

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Restless natives of the Top End
tropicbreeze wrote:
Got back on the chopper yesterday from a couple of days camping out on the fauna survey. The good thing about those surveys is that you get more time to wander around. The flora surveys keep you at it fairly constantly until you're done. Then you can't go too far in case the chopper turns up to move you on.

With the fauna survey you set up the various types of traps then just check them now and again over a few days. Gives you plenty of time to wander without worrying about getting back at short notice.

Only difficulty was we were doing a 'sand plain', a flat area of alluvial sand making it a featureless landscape. When the cloud cover moves in (it's our wet season) it's impossible to tell direction, it all looks the same, north, south, east or west. Great to get lost in.

But I took a compass as security, and it worked out well. Found a seepage/swamp area and then a creek. So got lots of photos but unfortunately a lot of them were very poor. So there's plants of the drier sand plain, plus plants of the swamps.

The first is a small peaflower from the drier sand plain. Like so many of these photos I have no idea of identity. Had a fauna and not a flora expert with me. Might be able to track down some of the ID's and will edit them in.

Photo 074

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:31 AM