Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #32, 0 by Lala_Jane

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lala_Jane

In reply to: Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #32

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #32
Lala_Jane wrote:
It's the middle of the night and I'm in the middle of about 12 projects. I needed a break so here I am and I'd like to show you something (that I think is) cool. I cleaned out an old fish tank last fall and started a terrarium. I didn't necessarily want a terrarium, I was just out of space to overwinter some of my tenders and in one of my rare flashes of genius I remembered the aquarium. I didn't arrange the plants or try to make it look nice, my intent was just to use it as storage space until spring. Well don't ya know it's filled out so nicely and is now so pretty that I might just leave everything in there and forget about bringing things back out in the spring. All except the elephant ears. The elephant ears will have to go. They're banging their heads on the top of the tank.

Anyway I just noticed something that I know wasn't there yesterday. Check out this cool yellow shroom that just popped up in there. I know, I know. This has absolutely nothing to do with cottage gardening or seed starting, but a pretty picture is a pretty picture, so what the heck? I love the way the yellow contrasts with the begonia and the bright pink alternanthera. Pretty neat, eh?

Now I need to get back to the dahlias. *sigh* I started out wetting the canna bulbs and decided that while I was in the cubby hole I might as well take care of the dahlias too. So many of the tubers had already started sprouting that I decided I should just let them go on ahead and do their thing and I'd root them and have even MORE dahlias. Woohoo.

But of course I really didn't know the proper steps for rooting dahlia slips which meant I had to do some research first. And now it's 4:00 in the morning, I've got a mess in every room of my house, I'm dead-dog tired, and here I sit rambling away to you good people.

But isn't that a pretty picture?