Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Hydrangeas in Chicago Burbs - How Far North is "North"?, 0 by sherriseden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sherriseden

Subject: Hydrangeas in Chicago Burbs - How Far North is "North"?

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hydrangeas in Chicago Burbs - How Far North is "North"?
sherriseden wrote:
I fell in love with hydrangeas last summer and want to put some in this spring. From my research, I think the Paniculatas and Quercifolias will do well here, but here's my question - I would like to put them in an area of my yard that gets about 5 to 6 hours of midday sun. Some sites say "more sun in the north is OK". Does "more" mean 5 - 6 hours, almost full sun? Does "north" mean Chicago or farther up?

My other question is companion shrubs - I'd like to plant the hydrangeas with lilacs, for spring through summer bloom. But I think lilacs don't like as much water as hydrangeas. Is that maybe not a good match in the garden?

Here's a picture of the area I want to put the hydrangeas and lilacs. It was started a few years ago as a prairie garden. It really didn't work out so well for a few reasons: 1) As much as I like the IDEA of using natives, I realized I really don't like the wild, rambly plants that term includes 2) I did not plan placement very well, and 3) Some critter kept running through the back of it last summer, destroying my Joe Pye Weed and leaving a very curious, musty odor. We still have not solved that mystery!

Anyway - I'm rambling. Sorry! Any advice about the hydrangeas and lilacs??