Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: List of first year blooming perennials ??, 0 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: List of first year blooming perennials ??

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of List of first year blooming perennials ??
wrote:
I used to sow perennials 2x a year---spring and fall. The reason was lack of space in my coldframe.

The second sowing was in August. When large enough, I transfer them into my coldframe to winter over. By spring, these plants were husky with a good root system and bloomed during their usual blooming period if transplanted to permanent location as soon as growth begins during spring.

The first sowing I did according to the size of the seeds, starting in January. The smaller the seed, the longer it takes to reach transplanting size. When large enough, they went into my coldframe over summer. As the continue to grow in size, I transplant them to their permanent location. Some remain in the coldframe until fall. These bloomed the following season at their usual time.

CAPTON: My first coldframe made from railroad ties. A lath cover gave shade. These plants were sown in August. The photo was taken the following May just prior to transplanting to permanet location. Location was Western Nebraska, which is a bit warmer than Wyoming where I now live.