Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Canadian Gardening: My Garden is Now Underway, 0 by Gymgirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gymgirl

In reply to: My Garden is Now Underway

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My Garden is Now Underway
Gymgirl wrote:
DCarrington
Riverview, NB
(Zone 5b)

The boxes are easy. For the corners, I laid out a 2x4 and cut it in one foot lengths. I bought packages of wood for the sides and ends. They were suppose to "Line a Closet". They're thin boards that are tongue and groove. You can get the packages at Home Depot or Lowes and they're not expensive. (maybe $5.00 to $6.00 per package of 6 boards that are 8 feet long.

I laid out the 2x4's on an old table, spaced 8 feet apart. Next I naild one of those boards (packaged boards), to the 2x4 with finishing nails. You can use any kind of nail that is small. If you use a large nail, it will split the board you are nailing to the 2x4. By the way, the 2x4's aren't in the ground. The box is placed on top of the ground when it's finished.

The box is 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 1 foot deep. Just cut a 2x4 into 4, one foot corners. Nail the sides and ends to the 2x4's.

To keep the box from spreading apart in the middle, I put a 1 foot long board, (same as the corners), 4 feet from each end of the box. The packaged boards are 8 foot lengths. I nailed the sides to the 2x4's in the center. I screwed in an eye hook to those center 2x4's, placed a wire on the eye hooks and tightened them so when the soil was dumped into the box, it wouldn't spread out.

I cut out my stair steps, but if you aren't sure how to cut them out, you can easily buy "Stringers" (another name for steps), at any place that sells lumber.

Good luck to you. Post a pic when you get one finished.

Darrell