Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 22, 0 by Stake

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Stake

In reply to: TEA ROOM # 22

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA  ROOM  # 22
Stake wrote:
G'Day Awchid
I think the Donut would peel easily but I haven't tried I scoff them skin and all. I do with all the soft fruit I reckon they taste better and of course I can eat more in a given time if I don't have to stop to peel them. Some of the real fuzzy peaches need a bit of a rub or wash but I still leave the skin on. Do you know the name of your plum? Perhaps you are eating them before they are ripe. Although if it is a Narrabeen it will be fairly bland. Why don't you try budding or grafting a better variety onto it or several for that matter. I like plums when you can put the whole fruit in your mouth and squeeze the stone out between your teeth, when you can do that they are fully ripe. Other than blood plums they are meatier and need a bit of chewing.
The best way to keep the size down is Summer pruning or what might suit you better turn the tree into an Espalier. If you can select two limbs now that can be bent down and tied to a fence or trellis that will be the start then next Winter you remove the upright branches and let the trellised ones do the growing. You will have to keep the centre shoots under control by either removal or topping. If I remember I'll take a photo of my nectarine tomorrow so you can get an idea of what to do although it would have been better to have a photo from Winter. If you want to keep the tree as is long handled secateurs, and electric chain saws are available at a reasonable cost.
Regards