Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: My mystery vine, 0 by gardenmart

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gardenmart

Subject: My mystery vine

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My mystery vine
gardenmart wrote:
Calling all vine lovers. This vine is growing up a wall in a tropical greenhouse at UMass-Amherst. Very prolific, according to the manager, but they don't want to get rid of it because they don't have a proper ID. It grows, leaves and stems, plastered flat to the wall, like they were glued on, or the leaves, like stickers stuck on the wall. I have a piece she gave me, which she had to peel up with her fingernails to rip it off the wall. It clings with aerial roots like ivy or pothos or philodendron. The aerial roots look much like philodendron to me. There are three or four of them at each leaf node and they hold on tight. The leaves are about 2 1/2 inches by 2 inches and are leathery and have a slightly rough surface composed of many tiny bumps over the entire surface. I took this picture at about noon today, Massachusetts time. The greenhouse manager said that peperomia had been suggested, but I don't have any pictures of really vining types. I don't think it is a kind of ficus as there is no white sap. I appreciate your help!
Thanks,
Martha