Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Fruits and Nuts: Figs not ripening, 0 by pbyrley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pbyrley

In reply to: Figs not ripening

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Figs not ripening
pbyrley wrote:
Hi Clementine,
If you want to, you can easily prune the tops as well as branches down to a size that is easy to cover, maybe 6' high and 5' diameter. I think I will prune after the next freeze or in Dec. They will grow back very fast. I would suggest doing the pruning on the Negronne but maybe not the brown turkey. I may not cover my brown turkey unless there is a severe freeze (e.g./ about 15 deg). I don't know how cold hardy Negronne is, do you? I assume it is more tender than brown turkey. I'm still learning too so if you get new info, please let me know.

Brown turkey, Celeste and Chicago Hardy are rated for zone 7 so I won't worry about them as much as I will for my Black Mission and my new LSU Gold. I definitely will cover them and put a light bulb under the tent. My LSU Purple is in a pot on the deck and I can pull it right up to the South wall of the house- that keeps it pretty warm.

If you decide to prune Negronne, please tell me - I would like to come get a few limbs to root.

Paul