Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Against all odds, 0 by johnpeten

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright johnpeten

Subject: Against all odds

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Against all odds
johnpeten wrote:
My little Old Man turned up one day with 3 " Hortensias". Having seen Hydrangeas growing well in miserable climates like England I thought growing them here was impossible. However as the old man was so disappointed at my lack of interest I gave him $6 for the three. I then started an investigation which confirmed my original thoughts.
I live in the North of Guatemala on a rolling limestone plateau about 150 feet above sea level. Truly Tropical but with average monthly temperatures ranging from 72 in Jan to 82 in May. You can add 10 degrees for average day temperatures.
I was told by Hydrangea enthusiasts that Mop Heads don't grow well in Southern Florida so I didn't have much chance.
I inserted a couple in a lawn to help keep them moist and surrounded them with rotted leaf mould and coffee grounds. They were shaded in the morning and had 3 hours Sun in the afternoon. The other I planted with my shade lovers. A couple of weeks later the bright blue flowers faded and the leaves turned brown. However I noticed new shoots appearing. The new shoots produced bright new leaves and eventually new white flowers which went from green to bright blue and are now turning mauve.
This colour progression apparently is normal.
In the hot Sun they eventually start to wilt but as the Sun moves away they perk up again.
The one in the shade is making good new growth the same as the other two but has only managed one small flower.
My soil is neutral but I only have about 9 inches of topsoil, below is almost pure soft limestone (pour some vinegar on it and it looks like Alkaseltzer). I live on the edge of the Jungle and the locals are puzzled that I am growing flowers and not Maize and Beans. Chemicals are not available to me.
There is so much written about Hydrandeas that I am thoroughly confused. I guess I must simply let Mother Nature take care of them.
The flowers are sterile? Some flowers are not sterile? When the flowers have reached the purple stage the center pod opens and reveals Pistil and Stamens. Are these sterile?