Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting.., 0 by goofybulb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goofybulb

In reply to: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..
goofybulb wrote:
THE BEGINNING
It was until last August (2007) that she successfully managed to ignore them. A darn long time, one might say! She went to Home Depot to buy a bigger pot for her hibiscus and some more potting soil, and she was lurking around in the plant section, waiting for her husband to come back from the tool section.

When, suddenly, a heavenly unidentified but somehow cinnamon-y scent caught her nose! She started to sniff around in all the planted pots, to identify the source! It was in the orchid section! “That is strange”, said the goofy girl to herself, “I didn’t know they can smell!” She took two of them, that were emitting fragrance, each beautiful and unique, like she’s never seen before. As she placed the pots in the cart, waiting for her husband and for the budget approval, a man came quickly and grabbed one of the pots from her cart, saying: “this is mine, I saw it first and I told them to keep it for me!”

She was a little shocked of his behavior… and did not know what to respond at that time. He run to the counter, paid and left quickly. Her husband found her dumbfounded, almost crying, holding tightly to a potted plant! He asked the goofy girl: “so, do we take that one, or what? You want it?” No use to say that, when told the encounter with the odd man, the husband wanted to kick his butt… after all, that’s what good husbands want when they see their wives in tears…

And that’s how she’s got her first orchid. Now, almost a year after this event, she pompously calls this orchid NOID Cattleya)It was like a new world just opened to her. It was the great expansion!
She still doesn’t understand that man’s conduct… maybe orchids make you do all kinds of crazy things...