Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: OSP and caladium bulbs question, 0 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

In reply to: OSP and caladium bulbs question

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of OSP and caladium bulbs question
HollyAnnS wrote:
I'm Back, Been gone for almost 3 weeks and really missed everyone.
Sally is right about the caladiums, I overwintered 6 pots last year and about 10 loose bulbs. With the pots I just stopped watering them and let them go completely dry and tucked 2 of them under my growing stand. It's a pretty warm room as it is a second floor room and the room below it has the wood/coal stove in it. The other 4 pots were at my Mom's and Daughter's house they stored their pots in their heated basements. I treated the loose bulbs just like I do my OSP. Just let them dry out snip off the dried leaves and put them in a brown paper bag.
With my OSP usually they are in pots and window boxes which I stop watering so by the time I dig them out they are all ready dying back. I pull the tops off and just toss them in a bucket for a couple of days and then put them in brown paper bags and store in my laundry room.
I have had really good success with growing them they just must like neglect. One year the bucket I used got pushed in a corner and forgotten until I started thinking about starting them and really had to look around to find them. They did fine for me after sitting in a 5 gal plastic bucket for 6 month.
I don't usually take cuttings in the fall but I have been told that the Tri-color will not grow true from tubers. Critter gave me a Tri-color plant so I will see how I do with overwintering a whole plant.
Sally, Remember your OSP flower? Well my Blackies flowered more this year than all the previous years combined. Never saw anything like it.