Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Has Anyone Received Their Order from Chalk Hill?, 0 by meadowyck

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright meadowyck

In reply to: Has Anyone Received Their Order from Chalk Hill?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Has Anyone Received Their Order from Chalk Hill?
meadowyck wrote:
I'm holding to the edge of my chair as These will be my first ever to grow. Do they send planting and care instructions with their plants?

The area that I have planned for them is a full sun/afternoon sun. I would like to create an trellis that would be 10-15 feet wide and at least 8-10 feet high. I would like to put them just in front of our living room window in hopes that when the vines grown next spring they will fill it in a provide much need shade and protection from the heat of the sun in the afternoon. We just had our roof replaced last year and down went the old awnings and man this summer the heat made the living room too hot to live in...LOL

The picture is at the beginning of the season, I've been trying to kill off this stinking climbing vine that the previous owner had planted, and so far so good. I've had it covered all summer and just started this week amending the soil. I dug up most of it and replaced it with good top soil, sweet peat and leaf humus. I made my flower bed with this mixture and it has been incredible.

My only concern is if I build the trellis close to the house then the little climbers might decide to grow up on to my roof and in the gutter....

so those of you who know their growth patterns, how far away from my house is too far for these climbers to decide not to stretch to get my roof????

The space is only 4 1/2 wide from the front window to the sidewalk and then my new flower bed is on the outside of the sidewalk.

So any suggestions on how far from the house to put the trellis? I had hoped to grown some other items here but really like the idea of the clematis here.

thanks
Janet