Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Best time to divide?, 0 by gabagoo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gabagoo

Subject: Best time to divide?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Best time to divide?
gabagoo wrote:
I have a number of perennials that need to be divided. They are all in containers. (that's all I have)
Does it make a difference if they are divided in the fall or the spring?
Would the deciding factor be the bloom time? For example, would it be better to divide a spring bloomer in the fall?
In the past I have split my daylilies in the spring with no ill effects so I guess that's OK as far as they're concerned. There are other plants that were given to me in 2006 by a friend that was relocating from NY to CA. EX: Phlox, buddelia, black eye susans, etc. Can they also be done in the spring?
I have some penstamon that REALLY needs to be split. It's WAY too crowded in the pot it's in. That's a spring bloomer. Should I do that in October? Or can it wait?

It looks like I'm heading towards having a totally perennial garden - with some annuals thrown in as fillers.
I don't mind - I'm retired now & on a very fixed income. Anything that keeps coming back is one less plant for me to buy.
When I start dividing, I plan on using the containers that now have annuals.

BTW-we're talking a LOT of pots! I didn't count this year (yet) but last year I had over 160 pots.
Here's a shot of the garden at its peak this year.

Nancy