Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Rural Gardening: My first serama egg!!, 0 by musicnotes

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright musicnotes

In reply to: My first serama egg!!

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My first serama egg!!
musicnotes wrote:
Hello all,

I am also new to this. I just bought 4 Seramas (A-B) 2 tiny hens, a "B" cockeral and a 3 1/2 month old cock. They all share a pretty large cage, but we are building a coop tomorrow (or chicken tractor).
The gentleman I purchased these little doll-faces from had 3 hens lay while I was there! He threw those and 3 others in with the purchase of the Seramas.

We got home, set the birds all up in the cage w/ food and water, and LO & BEHOLD, one of the hens had layed an egg (it was so soft, they started eating it!). I was just shocked that she even layed! Must LOVE their new home, huh!

Long story short, it's been 6 days and one of them layed a little bundle of joy (EGG!) this afternoon. I have the 5 in the incubator (since 9/7), but I would like the hens to hatch them out..or set? I am learning! She (probably Myrtle) layed the 1 egg on bottom of cage and my son moved to the hay bottomed nesting box inside cage that he JUST made yesterday!

QUESTION IS (phew! finally!): Can I take the 6 others out of the little giant incubator and place them in the nesting box? How long do I leave the ONE egg in there before I know if it's fertile? Please keep in mind that this is my first FOWL EVER...never even had a chicken before. I was hooked on Seramas the first time I came across them (totally by accident) on google. Now I have the potato chip syndrome...no one can have just 1 (LOAD)!!!

Thank you in advance and have a great night,
~music
PS~Congrats on your Seramas! I've attached a picture of the 3 month old...he is my son's... he picked him out and named him Sushi and I SWEAR, he tweets "PRETTY BIRD!"