Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Agave id needed, 0 by Kaelkitty

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kaelkitty

In reply to: Agave id needed

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Agave id needed
Kaelkitty wrote:
Hi Annette,
First, the Good News - None of them are Yuccas!

#1 is Agave gypsophila http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59708/ the conbination of the fleshy triangular teeth and the wavy leaf edges is unmistakeable.

#2 could be either an Agave or a Furcraea but I am inclined to think it IS an Agave, possibly Agave angustifolia, but I won't swear on it.

#3 could be either an Agave or a Furcraea but in this case I am inclined to think it is a Furcraea but I can't give you the species as this is still too small to be sure of it's ID.

Can you take photos of #2 and #3 from the side showing the very base plus the next few inches up the underside. If you can I might sa least be able to confirm the Genus names for those two plants.

All three of these plants look in desperate need of sunlight and drying out a bit. All of their growth is very lax and excessively green, If they have been growing in the shade, you will have to move them into the sun quite slowly, over several weeks as they will burn very easily in this state.

Here's a picture of my Agave gypsophila when it was quite young for you to check against. The purplish colour is from the extra cold nights we have had this winter. Many Agave species will colour like this when the temperature falls below 5C overnight on a regular basis.

TTFN, KK.