Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Orchids: Simple Dynamics, 0 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Simple Dynamics

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Simple Dynamics
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Hi Bob, I think you asked some great questions and hope that others will respond. I would love to hear what works for the "regulars" who check in here. We've been growing orchids for about the same amount of time, yet there are so many basics that can be learned from fellow enthusiasts. I'll give you my best shot...

I use Sharpies (extra fine point). Someone gifted me with a miniblind that, cut up, will provide a lifetime of tags. I used to be fancy and still have all kinds of tags from pro suppliers, but am winnowing down.

I keep smaller plants either indoors, in my orchid room, (photo below) or under our steep overhangs. Although they may flower earlier while young with more direct exposure, I'd rather not risk some of the other problems. So, I keep them in a controlled environment until I think they can handle the great outdoors.

I had a good sized, attached greenhouse years ago, but have scaled down considerably. I designed a place to grow orchids and other plants in our current house. It is diagonally attached to our family room, so gets all four angles of light. I can stand at my kitchen sink and look into it from 25" away. The floor is Tenn. orchard stone, there is a water spigot with a controlled sprayer, mister, a ceiling fan that runs 24/7 and a ventilating skylight. It's two stories of low E glass that does not seem to impact growth or bloom. I've found the ventilation unnecessary, but the light a must. This is a compromise between my former "full on" orchid obsession greenhouse and a current lifestyle.

Hope this helps,
Laurel