Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Ideas for Summer Flowering Shrubs, 0 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Ideas for Summer Flowering Shrubs

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ideas for Summer Flowering Shrubs
77sunset wrote:
Hello Lesley. I'm wandering around in here as it is freezing outside. I would try one of my favorites for all year round flowers, Polygala. There are several Lavateras that will flower until late Autumn. Also you could try some of the Australian Native Hibiscus. I have a gorgeous one with a large purple open flower. It will flower well into late Autumn and at the moment has heaps of buds with even a couple of flowers open. Not much perfume there, but lots of color in Summer. Someone else may have some ideas for perfumed ones. Any of the Hebes should flower well too. If you want a Summer perfume around the garden and have no perfumed shrubs, try getting Alyssum to grow and selfseed all over the garden. It acts as a great mulch and when in full flower through Summer has the most sweetest perfume. You would not think so as they are only little plants, but get a garden full on a warm day . Mmmmmmm. You don;t have to bend down to smell it either, it will drift around in the air. I know , common plants but great survivors.
Of course these are what I have growing and they may not do the same where you are, but the beauty is none of them require much water. In truth, none of mine get any, other than the rain.
Jean.