Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Is there a secret to making a tree "branch" out?, 0 by dybbuk

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dybbuk

Subject: Is there a secret to making a tree "branch" out?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Is there a secret to making a tree "branch" out?
dybbuk wrote:
So I have an almost 100% variegated Ginkgo biloba 'Sunstream'. It's now 6 feet tall with tons of beautiful, big, striped leaves. All sounds good so far, huh? Here's the kicker: it hasn't branched out at all. It's a 6 foot whip. When I first got it, it was the size of a pencil and I get about 18" of growth each year. This year I pinched the top off hoping that would encourage some action but nope. He just healed and sent out a new growth spurt from the same spot....straight up. Every year I think next year's gonna be the big branch out but deja vu. Maybe it's just an issue with this particular strain as I've seen some Ginkgo biloba 'Variegata' that have a horrible shape with branches just on one side. Like it can't rewire itself to be a tree instead of a branch. I'm babbling....

Does anyone have a suggestion? I know it's too late in the season to try anything but any light you can shed would be great.

Thanks.....

Here's a picture from this spring when he was just budding out. It's actually 4 feet from the fence....

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008 12:45 AM