Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Wildlife: please help identify this turtle for us, 0 by shimer

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shimer

In reply to: please help identify this turtle for us

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of please help identify this turtle for us
shimer wrote:
Thank you all again: your comments give rise to more questions from me, if (as I hope), you are still following the thread. What color eyes do the female box turtles have? I understand birds are anatomically similar to reptiles, and am wondering, with the red/orange male eyes, if their mating habits are similar? Are the males "more flashy" and attractive than the females? Where do box turtles tend to find each other for mating purposes? (There's a road not far from here called "Turtle Club Drive", which I never thought much about, but do they "congregate" in any way?) Here is a picture of our turtle "hauling shell" as cpartschick phrased it. Re turtle diet: I have noticed that this turtle is great at "hunting" worms from the ground, and can also snap flying insects out of the air. One day he patrolled along the perimeter of the house and appeared to be getting the bugs caught in spider webs, in a fashion very similar to how Carolina Wrens do, also looking under leaves for any bugs hiding there.