Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Were not in Kansas anymore!!!! Toto!, 0 by Tropicman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Tropicman

In reply to: Were not in Kansas anymore!!!! Toto!

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Were not in Kansas anymore!!!!  Toto!
Tropicman wrote:
No.I plant them in the ground,they will grow much faster and bloom more often,and dig them up in the fall,after the first light freeze that burns the leaves,sometimes I will remove all the leaves before the first frost and dig them back up,keep as much dirt on them and place in black plastic bag,and overwinter them in a cool garage,only water them when I see the trunks starting to shrivel a little.
They are really bad with spider mites in the winter,and I don't want the hassle of trying to control them all the time.
They will put on a few leaves just to keep them a live,which is ok with me,lot less to deal with than trying to maintain a huge growing plant all winter.

Here is a recent pic of Xanth. Sagg.,in comparison,that is about a 4inch pocket knife in the middle of the leaf,this one is going to get huge this year.
Also I have a store bought root of malanga that came back this year,but the leaves are only
about half that size,but has many babies,probably a different variety because the leaves look somewhat rounder on it.