Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: THE RAIN THE BLESSED RAIN, 0 by Hineni

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Hineni

In reply to: THE RAIN THE BLESSED RAIN

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of THE RAIN THE BLESSED RAIN
Hineni wrote:
Pamgarden: I've been trying to think of a place to put our progress - right now it's under Farm Life, titled "We're Moving". I've been posting pics there of our limited progress in clearing the place, and the puppies growth. I do think we're going to see more and more people growing food, reducing their consumption of electric and whatnot, not so much because they're homesteading, but simply due to costs. Sounds like a good show on PBS. There was one, "It Ain't Easy Being Green" - where the people restored a HUGE castle-like place. Wonderful to watch, but as sallyg pointed out - we didn't retired from Wall Street, and are doing this on a shoe-string budget. Make a leeeetle bit of a difference (ha, okay a LOT of difference)!!

sallyg: I'd also have to learn to grow coffee, in addition to chocolate...hehe. Supposedly it can be done here - although I've got my hands full just getting normal crops into the weed-filled upper garden for now. I'll save the exotics for after I can feed myself. No shortage or price run on chocolate or coffee that I've seen yet ;)

Kubileya: Same direction we're heading, I'm sure I can learn a lot from you guys. When J gets up here full-time, we'll add the chickens and goats to the repertoire, but the fencing will have to be repaired first. We may can manage chickens, but before we bring in goats lots of work has to be done. Our timeline keeps growing...lol! I haven't used the a/c at all here yet, but we haven't hit the dog days yet either. Since it's just me, no kids or anything, I find that a fan does me well, and I'm learning when to open and close windows on opposite sides of the house to reduce heat and pull cool (from the shaded areas), cover up windows on the south side of the house, etc. I'm far, far more attentive to the weather now, for laundry, crops and cooling. I like it. I like being more attentive to the land and air and such (getting a little behind on current events though!) Totally different pace of life, and if a job wasn't required, it would be even more different. Some days are a little tough trying to work and do what needs done here, nevermind what I WANT done as well;)

Stormyla: funny you should mention that....we're working on a bluetooth solution for times when I don't have to absolutely be at my desk (there isn't much of that right now) or to be able to work from the laptop on the porch when it's cooler out than in.

We're only down about 2.5 inches from norm here in the rainfall arena; and way above last year, so I'm happy. Tomorrow is my 'work in the yard' day, so I'm not too keen on the 80% chance of rain for tomorrow, BUT, I'm not sugar, so I won't melt in it and it makes the weeds come up easier :)

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement; we are truly living a dream, in paradise. Dreams worthwhile require work. I don't mind that one bit (although my body complains far before my brain does...haha!) We have so much to learn still - and reading differs far from doing...LOL! It's all good though, and it IS a good life.