Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Teller's Blue - anyone have it?, 0 by SongsofJoy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SongsofJoy

Subject: Teller's Blue - anyone have it?

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Teller's Blue - anyone have it?
SongsofJoy wrote:
I bought one last year already in bloom and planted it in a partly sunny spot (maybe 3-4 hours of afternoon sun). Within a couple weeks, the leaves and flowers were burned and it struggled the rest of the season. I watered it regularly, but it looked awful. This year it is tiny - even smaller than it's size last year when I purchased it - and no flowers, but the leaves are green and it looks a bit healthier though certainly not thriving.

Despite my less than admirable success with this cultivar, I couldn't help but purchase another one this year - it is just so stunning in bloom and I couldn't resist. Same thing is happening. This new one is in similar light conditions, though perhaps more filtered morning sun. I've had it a few weeks and the flowers are starting to brown and the plant looks like it is struggling overall.

I looked it up in plant files and it says full sun to part shade, so I wouldn't think the few hours it receives in my northern location would be a problem. I have other hydranges - endless summer and nikko blue in the same beds as these two Teller's Blue and they are doing much better. Anyone have any ideas for what might be wrong?

Below is a picture when I first brought it home
Thanks!