Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Can I put worms in my planter boxes?, 0 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Can I put worms in my planter boxes?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Can I put worms in my planter boxes?
wrote:
I made my own box after doing a lot of reading on the subject. But really all you need is a container of any size, a small amount of dirt to start them, and just start adding the food. I got the worms from my sister's garden, and they multiplied wonderfully. What you have to be concerned about is the temps-they will survive in very cold temps, but can't freeze, and if they get too hot they die. I learned the hard way there-After 4 month of adding to my bed, increasing the number of worms from about 50 to at least 300, I changed out the bedding and put in a mixture of dried leaves and grass and some piggy poo. I came back to check on them in two days and discovered I had unintentionally created a very successful (which means HOT) compost pile. My poor worms had died trying to escape from the scorching heat. I have only a handful left, so I am starting over, sadder but wiser. That is why I suggest beginning small with dirt, and just adding some food each day, so they can keep up. Here are some pics.