Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Planting clematis, 0 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

Subject: Planting clematis

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Planting clematis
ClematisGuru wrote:
was wondering if there are any tips out there we could share on planting clematis. i use a "collar" i make from the top 4 inches of a nursery pot..usually 12 " pot. i insert the top of the nursery pot into the ground ( it is about 2 inches into the ground in this photo). it helps hold in the compost and identify the spot. i do have some weeding and mulching help and this helps them stay away form "the special plants" when they are doing tasks in the area. i have also gone back to some of my older plants and inserted the collars. i used to make them out of rocks i would place around the plant, but this is working better. sometimes i cut the pot into three collars, but if you have enough pots, the top piece of the pot makes a sturdier collar. i like to water my clematis with a open hose and i can run the hose against the inside of the collar to which keeps the force of the water off the plant. i think i used to damage a lot of my plants with too forceful watering!