Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Ideas please!, 0 by stormyla

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright stormyla

Subject: Ideas please!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ideas please!
stormyla wrote:
Hi! I bought this piece of fence at a flea market because I thought it would make a great trellis. I particularly like the Oak leaves & Acorns in the center. After a 3 year battle with wild vines, I can't bring myself to plant any.

I have a 100' X 20" bed alongside a busy road. The road traffic creates a lot of wind and
most tall plants over there require staking. I'm thinking this could be used to create a vignette as a focal point in the center of that bed. I'd like to leave the oak leaves somewhat visible. The posts can be used to support taller plants which I would like to be red or orange. I'd like something shorter and yellow in front of the tall ones. And maybe something low growing in blue or white in the very front.

The backdrop of this bed is a line of tall maples. In front of that are various flowering shrubs. There are roses, peonies, azaleas and assorted other perrenials, low growing shrubs and bulbs in the bed. It is far from full. This area would get both full sun and dappled sun. The soil is medium to dry.

What do you think?

Can anyone suggest some plants?

Would you leave the fence as is, or paint it all white?

Many thanks, Mary