Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Another question for those that grow Cimicifuga, 0 by Noreaster

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Noreaster

Subject: Another question for those that grow Cimicifuga

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Another question for those that grow Cimicifuga
Noreaster wrote:
I posted recently about moving Cimicifuga....I went ahead and moved my three Brunettes earlier this Spring while the weather was cool (they were just planted last year, so not well established or anything).

The new spot sits in shade and dappled shade all day until about three pm, at which time the sun finds a hole in the tree cover and then it gets direct sun for the rest of the day. Because I can't remember a thing about earth science from school, I don't know if the sun is going to increase or decrease as the season goes on. Is it now getting too much sun? I read such conflicting info online about this plant, so I'd really like to know in what light conditions you guys grow yours and how it does. I noticed over the last day or two (warm ones), that the color is getting very green, and I'm concerned when looking at the foliage at the bottom because it's looking an unhealthy shade of green to me for this plant. I live in Maine, on the coast, and our summers are generally quite cool, though of course we get hot days now and then...I thought this would be an ok spot for it, but now I'm wondering....I don't mind green, but I don't want sickly brown, either. I have been keeping it watered, and the soil is ammended. Do you think it will eventually adapt, or have I totally goofed here? Here is a pic- there are three around the big, empty pot. I was hoping to put something in the pot to cast some shade on the cimicifuga, but I can't come up with anything that would be tall enough to do the job, and quickly. Help!