Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: tall phlox from BB for swap on May 24, 0 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

Subject: tall phlox from BB for swap on May 24

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of tall phlox from BB for swap on May 24
critterologist wrote:
I just came across a sale on tall phlox at Blooming Bulb that's a really great deal (60% off on several varieties, and even Bright Eyes is a good price at 30% off)... and I'm going to order some. Ordinarily, I'd see how many people wanted phlox and offer to pot it all up and bring it along (the more we order, the better the price). But I need to be in Pittsburgh next week, returning Thursday afternoon. I think I'm going to have my hands full as it is trying to get things potted up and organized to bring for Saturday without trying to pot up a bunch of phlox.

I just called and talked to Brad, and he said the bare root plants would be OK for about a week after arrival if I just kept them in a cool place (like my basement). So... If I tell them to ship on Monday, they should arrive on Thursday; if they ship tomorrow, they'll probably arrive on Tuesday. If I can't find time to pot them up, I'll just bring them bare root.

Here's the deal:

First, this offer is only for people attending the swap at Becky's on the 24th (unless you're in Frederick and can come by on Friday the 23rd, in which case you can help me pot them up, LOL)

I'm planning to get 5 of each variety, 10 of 'Laura'. The price per each drops at 15 of a given variety and drops again at 25. Given my time constraints next week, I definitely don't want to order more than 25 of each, and I'd be happy ordering just 15 (or just placing my order). There's no shipping charge on these. :-)

I'm planning to plant mine out in clumps of 3 divisions for a nice, full look. (No, I don't know exactly how big a "number 1 divison" is, but I've never been unhappy with BB.) I'm going to do it like this... I think Bright Eyes, Starfire, and David will look great together, so I'm doing both mixed and single variety clumps to get 5 groups of 3 out of my 15 divisions:

(BBB) (SSS) (DDD)
(SBD) (DBS)

For David, Franz, Laura, and Starfire, the price is 90 cents per division if we order 15 of a variety and 76 cents each if we order 25. For Bright Eyes, the price is $1.57 per division if we order 15. If nobody else wants Bright Eyes, that's fine.

I'll keep track of where we are by editing this post:

Variety number ordered

Bright Eyes 5

David 26 (I'll order 30 and take 4 more)

Franz Shubert 11 (I'll order 15 and take 4 more)

Laura 15

Starfire 15

Numbers look good to me... I will place this order TODAY... let me know right away if you want to get in on this

This message was edited May 15, 2008 10:50 AM