Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Adding some zing, pop & pizzazz to a color scheme?, 0 by gemini_sage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gemini_sage

Subject: Adding some zing, pop & pizzazz to a color scheme?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Adding some zing, pop & pizzazz to a color scheme?
gemini_sage wrote:
Hey Cottage Garden fanciers!

Anyone feeling their garden is lacking something at some points in the growing season? Perhaps looking to draw more hummingbirds with some flame red blooms? Or needing to add some impact that can be seen from a distance, some 55mph appeal?

How are you tweaking your plant combinations and/or color groupings this year?

tabasco and I were discussing similar color schemed gardens we have in cool tones of mauves, pinks, purples, blues, with accenting silvery, variegated, or plum foliages, and how to give them some punch! While I'm a fan of those cool, serene hues, I'd like to see some brightness burst out from time to time during the season. I don't really care for bright or golden yellows, or oranges or reds with those tones (but love 'em in other parts of the garden, for sure!), but finding those that do "work" for my eye has been hit and miss. I have found some sweet william, roses, and lilies in crimsons that have enough pink overtones to do the job, and am finding that adding big splashes of white creates a glowing impact. Any suggestions?

Pictures always greatly appreciated! Of what you liked, or what you didn't and would like input on changes.
Thanks!
Neal

This is my shady entry garden, in memory of my friend, Jan. She was a huge fan of purples and blues, and loved fragrant flowers. She also loved silver in jewelry and just as a color, and always had "silvershadows" in her usernames, so I'm using lots of silvery foliages. I was particularly pleased to find a Heuchera called 'Silver Shadows". The 'Little Beauty' tulips in the foreground are one of my attempts to add some zing, and one I'm pleased with. The way the blue in the center of the tulips picked up the blue of the lungwort was effective. However now they're done, and I need something to fill in the gap.