Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: New here, but not new to growing plants....., 0 by Jensilaedi

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Jensilaedi

In reply to: New here, but not new to growing plants.....

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New here, but not new to growing plants.....
Jensilaedi wrote:
carrots are expensive here.... 5kg for 3 dollars I guess thats coz i'm in suburbia... I live only about 15 minutes drive from the middle of Perth City!!

When I was little mum used to make us grow a veggie patch, she wanted to see if either my sis or I had a green thumb. we did... sort of but the idea kinda ... erm.... faded away. Mum's a teacher so she doesn't have a lot of time to help us tend to it, but she tried. Then, we grew beans, carrots, lettuce(forgot which kind... iceberg I think?) and we tried growing tomatoes. I think mum didn't know that you were supposed to rotate your veggie patch because they stopped growing brilliantly after the first year and we were kinda puzzled as to the why.

I'm also taking up another challenge... growing mushrooms!! I absolutely adore mushrooms.....and I've never tried it so I'm looking into seeing how to grow them!

The picture below are the new seedlings ... the back half is the spinach.. will take about a month to see any seedlings but as for the brussel sprouts after having laid the seeds both last Sunday, they've already sprouted. We've had very good weather over here. Another side note, I cover them with a clear plastic lid all day, rotate the box each day, and open the lid each day for like a few minutes to let it change air. there is no need of air holes if I pay this kind of attention every day. I haven't got a veggie patch yet and am considering keeping my veggies in a pots rather than in the garden. This way I don't have to rotate I just change the plant in the pot! and I've said this before I was thinking about aquaponics/hydroponics... I'm just sort of getting into the habit of growing my own vegetables and looking after the garden because in the past year I've come to realize that in the future if I'm going to be self sustainable, growing my own food would have to be part of that. So... there! :D