Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Michigan Gardening: Lets give a big welcome to: kimmageMaple City, Mi.., 0 by kimmage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kimmage

In reply to: Lets give a big welcome to: kimmageMaple City, Mi..

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Lets give a big welcome to:  kimmageMaple City, Mi..
kimmage wrote:
Thanks guys! What a great welcome. :)

Maple City is south west of Traverse City. Close to Sleeping Bear Dunes. If you haven't been there you must go! It's beautiful. Lake Michigan is right down the road. ;)

My boyfriend and I just bought a house here and I am new to the area. I'm originally from Gaylord. We bought the house in the winter so i'm not sure what kind of garden was originally in the backyard. The old owners son said they had a garden every year but from the picture below which shows most of the yard, I can't see where it would've been. No biggie though, i was planning on putting the garden next to the workshop (bottom of picture).

Since the snows been melting i've found different flowers popping up around the house. So far i've identified poppies, dafodils, tulips, roses and hostas. Oh and a few money trees which I LOVE! There are also a few raspberry bushes next to the workshop which I would like to move if possible. Has anyone here ever moved them? They are quite large and i'm scared that if I move them they will die.

Last year we lived in an apt. so I had to grow stuff in pots. I started small for my first year of gardening and only had a few tomato plants given to me by my grandpa. They were growing like mad until I discovered something was eating them. Turned out to be a tomato horn worm....ewww

Anyway, this year I am planning on having tomatoes, green beans, carrots, squash, green peppers and maybe a small herb garden. I've never had a garden before so this is going to be a learning process...lol

Any tips for a first time gardener? Where is the best place you've found for seeds as far as price/quality?

-Kim