Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: So, what have ya done so far...., 0 by Bec_No_Va

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Bec_No_Va

Subject: So, what have ya done so far....

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of So, what have ya done so far....
Bec_No_Va wrote:
gardening wise? I had a massive spurt of energy yesterday and accomplished more in 2.5 hrs than I have in weeks :-)

Lemme see, where to start - I still have NOT started any seeds - I am holding back until it gets a little warmer and I can utilize my 2 little greenhouse racks on the deck - and the number 1 reason is Thor - I am afraid if I start them indoors and he can get to them - they will become a toy!
So, back to yesterday - like I said, spurt of energy, grabbed my gardening tools, shoes and headed to the backyard first - now, mind you, we are having some work done on the back - need 2 drainage outlets dug - we have killed the grass twice and found out it is because water is draining in a drowning the grass close to the house - so, getting that done, then new sod - bringing in new gravel and a general clean up of the grassy/graveled part. Important lesson learned - using "cheap" sod is NOT the way to go!

So, I began raking up all the leaves, drilled drainage holes in rose planters, they had become aquaculture - not by choice, but poor drainage :-) Hung up 3 birdhouses - found tons of stuff that is coming up, trimmed my R of S, roses and "the wild thing" (I believe it is a Jasmine - not sure - it went crazy last year) - moved all my potted Clematis to the fence - I'll build little "platforms" for the pots, so I'll have more room to plant the 14++ more vines I have coming (what was I thinking?) - after I got a blister on my thumb from all the raking I moved to the front of the house - having a minuscule amount of space CAN be good sometimes - raked up all the leaves, removed all the dead stuff from last year, and oh my (3 huge garbage bags full) - I have sooooooo much stuff coming up - now all I have to do is fill in with all the plants I have ordered online - of course I went ballistic as usual - (see the 14 vines mentioned earlier) - should be receiving 2 orders from Bluestone and Graceful Gardens in the next couple of weeks - and let's not forget the "smaller" orders from other places :-)
All this took place within 2.5 hours - I was happy as heck and filthy - now all I have to do is attack the deck, put down the outdoor rug, clean up the planters and get them ready for the spring - will I get another spurt of energy this weekend - who knows :-)

Here's to a Happy Easter weekend for one and all!

Beck