Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: old windows and doors greenhouse, 0 by Jennie_in_MT

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Jennie_in_MT

In reply to: old windows and doors greenhouse

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of old windows and doors greenhouse
Jennie_in_MT wrote:
Flowr, my DH and I have just built the exact type of GH you are describing. Here is a recap:

We live in a very windy (BIG wind) area of zone 4a. The original part of our house was built in 1912, so there was no way that a shiny modern GH would 'fit' our rural, farmhouse setting. I saw a very neat small greenhouse from recycled windows on GW, but knew it would never stand up to our climate. We decided to make the north wall a solid wood wall. In our cold zone, we felt that we would a lot more strength and that it would be most efficient to be able to insulate that wall. We have 2 smaller windows to install in that wall yet. The north part of the roof is also plywood sheething with metal roofing over top. There is a single door on one end and double doors on the other (east and west). We hinged the upper windows on these ends also so that we can get some passive ventilation in summer. I have screen over the openings to keep pests out.

We collected windows and farmhouse style doors all last summer. Then spent a lot of time drawing out plans and deciding how best to use the windows. In the end, we went with 2 window styles and sizes that were pretty consistent. None of the interior is furnished - that is our spring project. I only have a few pics, and it has not been painted yet - too cold once we got it built. Forgive the construction mess in this pic of the east side......