Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: How tp plant a Pregnant Onion, 0 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: How tp plant a Pregnant Onion

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How tp plant a Pregnant Onion
Gitagal wrote:
plantkiller,

I have populated the people in the Mid Atlantic Forum with babies from my Pregnant Onion.

Gosh! There is so much i could tell you about this plant!

I got my original one from someone in CA. She told me that they really need a fast-draining soil and like to be on the dry side. Done! I planted it (and soon them) in a heavy, 18" clay window box.
They grow SOOO fast! AND--they make those "babies" all over the place. Many of threm, actually, form underground and many grow just around the base of the parent bulb--and some grow under the skins of the bigger bulbs.
If you have decent sized bulbs/onions, in 2 years you will have to transplant them all--individually--into their own clay pots. I always use clay pots so they don't get wet feet...I do put about the bottom 1/3 underground when I plant them.

If you have never yet tried to separate all the "onions" that have become root-bound, LOOK OUT!!!! Get your sharp knives or hatchets out! It is NOT an easy task! Of course, in the process, all these little baby onions will be falling off like marbles. You can plant a bunch of them in a 4" or 6" shallow pot and let them all root. Just pay attention which end is up--and which is down. Keep all these outside in the Summer in, say, morning light. Water as needed. I have never fertilized mine.
In the winter, I take them downstairs and put them by the tiny window in my Laundry Room and--basically--ignore them. It is during this time that the bulbs get really large.

Have you seen the 4' bloom stalk they send out yet???? It is amazing!

I have lots of pictures. What would you like to see?

Let me go look. Maybe I can post a couple tonight--but it is getting late......

Gita

Here is a shot at the top of the surface of my PO planter.....I call it the "Nursery"!