Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Amaryllis Bulbs - To divide or not to divide??, 0 by ChicagoJim

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ChicagoJim

Subject: Amaryllis Bulbs - To divide or not to divide??

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Amaryllis Bulbs - To divide or not to divide??
ChicagoJim wrote:
About 5 years ago, I started out with one bulb, and through the years additional bulbs have formed. In the past year or so, I've noticed that I'm not getting as many flower stalks as I used to. I usually get 4 to 5 flower stalks at different times. (See: http://picasaweb.google.com/jyorton/Amaryllis)

The original bulb (the "mother" bulb) in the center of the pot not longer sprouts leaves, although it is still green. It hasn't bloomed in about 2-3 years.

Every few years I have to buy a new pot, because the bulb cluster becomes pot-bound and the pot begins to bend in shape.

Blooms occur in March-April (indoors) and the bulbs are outside in full sun from May-October. I do NOT force dormancy (darkness). Some years the bulbs keep their leaves, other years they drop them for about 6 weeks. The bulbs are in south window (sunny) during the winter, about 68 degrees F.

Questions:
1. Is there a limit to how long the bulbs will produce flower stalks?
2. At some point, do the bulbs need to be divided for growth?
3. Do you discard bulbs that no longer sprout leaves?

Thanks!