Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Before and after II, 0 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Before and after II

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Before and after II
77sunset wrote:
Good morning Sue. Just took a photo of the large antenna (85') at the end of this area. You can see all the guy wires and this is why the new trees must be smaller growers. Yes, the area gets all the hot sun. I want something that will grow reasonably quickly , that's why I thought a couple of fruit trees , as they are usually around 6' tall when you buy them.
I may just put 1 apricot and look for a couple of smaller evergreens. Any suggestions from you are welcome. The trees we had removed were as tall as the tower and as our area is very windy the branches would play havoc with the wires. If the wrong wires break, the tower will fall. Not a nice thought. There is a second antenna in the front paddock but I'm banned from planting out there. Sob, sob.
I was thinking natives at first but they are really slow to take off. I love oleanders but they don't do well here either. I have 3 that are still only 3'-4' after 7 years. Our soil is a heavy clay but along this fence there has been, at one time , a load of gravel which has left some residue.
The wind has come up again today making it cooler than it would be. I will get a bit more trimming done. There are just the Buddleas to be done. Happy gardening, Jean.