Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Confession Time, 0 by Kaelkitty

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kaelkitty

In reply to: Confession Time

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Confession Time
Kaelkitty wrote:
Hi all,
Wollemi pines DO grow from seed though - the info packet I got with mine ($66 eep!) had a picture of a seedling. I think they have established that there are about 11 or so genetic lineages growing in the original valley, but I think they don't get seedlings in the wild now because it is either too shady under the adult trees, or they get eaten by the local animals while they are small and tender. You have to remember that their wild location is very restricted by the high gorge walls around the site and the adult trees have already occupied all the space they can which is suitable for them to grow in - new trees can now only grow if one of the existing trees dies and makes a hole.

I didn't count the Wollemi as my most expensive purchase though, because it was a birthday present from my Mum last year. I think the most expensive plant I have ever purchased was my $50 Cymbidium - I just couldn't resist the deep chocolate maroon colour so I blew a weeks food budget on it! Oh well, who needs to eat!

Ciao, KK.