Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: New to the Forum, with a GH in renovation, 0 by lainygardens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lainygardens

In reply to: New to the Forum, with a GH in renovation

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New to the Forum, with a GH in renovation
lainygardens wrote:
Thanks for all the terrific responses. I moved here to take a job as a live-in personal assistant, and kennel manager (8 Japanese Chins, some retired Champs, a couple of up and comers - and one barky Papillon). The owner of the house has lived here 5 years, and travels extensively judging dog shows - thus, needing someone to live in and hold the fort. She wasn't interested in the GH, and had all the doo-dads turned off.
Have some turned back on, but don't want auto sprinklers while I am doing brick work.
The walls and ceilings are translucent panels, with large and small windows. On the roof is a sprinkler for cooling it during summer months. I do want to heat it, and have been planning the terracing around heating only a portion of it. The tallest part of the ceiling is 30 feet! The rest, except the entry, about 15 feet. At the entry, which is under decking above is probably only 7 feet. Plans will be to heat the entry area and the seating area, after putting in structure to place bubble wrap, or pool cover on top to create a false ceiling, just in that area, for winter.

I'm still trying to decide on plants - In September heat got up to 120° (not using the sprinklers or fans). Having lived in Imperial Valley - temps from 25°to 130°, I know that with irrigation some lovely landscape plants survive the extremes. I was recently there, but had so much fun visiting family and friends, I forgot to go to the nursery! And obviously, banana trees survive - as some made it up to the last freeze, tho I expect them to come back. If they survived 5 years without any care, no doubt they will make it. I WELCOME any suggestions! Also any tidbits about the water plants for the two ponds - small as they are, they need something growing in them. The upper pond will be in the heated area. Would be happy to keep it at 50° in that area.

Am including a photo of the lower level, which still needs cleaning of some of the dead weeds.
The lower pond is very small, about the size of a bathtub - and the "waterfall" not very attractive. I hope to do some cement sculpting do improve it's appearance. The lower level floor is very sloped. Still trying to work out what to do....maybe concrete planters near the walls to create a retainer between more dirt and the walls/windows.