Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Hardiest datura?, 0 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Hardiest datura?

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hardiest datura?
wrote:
I will like very much to. :) I have every Datura that you can dream of. I started collection in 1990 for my research ("How to ID Datura") and the collection kept growing since then. The last new (different) ones are D. lanosa (new species described and named by Robert Bye) and a kind of small specimen of D. discolor with dark purplish branches and round (instead of eggshaped) fruits.

D. meteloides "Evening Fragrance" is a typical D. wrightii. I bought several different packages in different years and found out that the contents was the same species every time.

There is another commercial seed packet called D. innoxia "Grandiflora" and it contain both D. inoxia and D. meteloides. I found my Datu-64 in that packet. It is an small densely haired D. inoxia with variegated leaves. I always grew it isolated from other specimens, because I thught it had the flu. *lol* ... but it can also be variegation not caused by virus since it travel with outwardly sterilized seeds.

Another comercial packet is D. metel "Belle Blanche" It contain D. inoxia and I bought samples of this one several years too and the contents vary. Its always pure inxia, but different types each time. One year it was a low, strong growing bush with thick leaves and broad flowers that had rounded limbs. Another year a high open slender bush with fine leaf and slender flowers that had sharp pentagonal limbs. *lol*

The next few pictures is D. pruinosa. It grew wild this year between the Marygolds.