Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: No more Tradescantia, 0 by Kaelkitty

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kaelkitty

In reply to: No more Tradescantia

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of No more Tradescantia
Kaelkitty wrote:
This post is for Debi,
Here is my Tradescantia pallida in the garden bed. These plants were put in almost exactly one year ago. Now I like them, so I am biased, I am not not saying they are necessarily a good plant or a "bad" plant. All I am saying is they do spread and they will cover a lot of ground if it is otherwise uninhabited. I think they are less invasive here in Adelaide for two reasons. Firstly our hot dry summers tend to cook them a bit, and then the odd patch of really cold weather in winter (they are frost sensitive) can also set them back. I did a fair bit of reading in the Plant Files and realised that most of the places where they have become a problem are in humid climates like Florida - very different from our generally low humidity and minimal rain! Since I don't have a dog that isn't a consideration for me, either. It is really up to you to decide whether the plant suits your requirements or not. I don't really believe there are "bad" and "good" plants, there is only the accumulation of knowledge, allowing individual gardeners to decide what will suit their particular desires for their gardens.