Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Bird Stories, 0 by Shan71

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Shan71

In reply to: Bird Stories

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bird Stories
Shan71 wrote:
I'm brand new to the forum and fairly new to birdwatching.
I live a few miles from Massachusetts Audubon's largest sanctuary and we try to go as often as we can. We live in an apartment that does not allow birdfeeding because of mice. Anyways, we always carry sunflowers seeds to feed the Chickadees. We were sitting on a bench near the marsh when one flew to my hand and proceeded to eat the entire seed while sitting on my hand. I'm surprised a hole dweller didn't come and nest in my open mouth I was so in awe! I've also had Titmice take some seed. There was a very curious White breasted Nuthach that never got the nerve up.
I also do quite a bit of Dogsitting at 2 beautiful homes in the woods. At one, they have just a small feeder suctioned cupped to their 2nd floor bedroom window. Plenty of Dee's, Titmice, goldfinch, a woodpecker (not sure which) and my first WB & RB Nuthatches.
At their neighbors home, We heard what I thought was a hawk, but the next night I went "chasing" them (2) and saw that they were actually owls. No pics but i would love to know what kind. They were probably at least 15" tall, light colored with a rounded head. As I said it sounded like a hawk screech but with absolutely soundless flight.

I probably won't be able to post much, I don't have that much bird contact, but I have certainly enjoyed ready everyones posts. This pic is of Me and the Dee.