Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Planting in old tyres..........., 0 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Planting in old tyres...........

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Planting in old tyres...........
77sunset wrote:
Hello Debi. I have used lots of old tyres over the years. One good use is to grow your potatoes on them. Put the tyres in a sunny place. add potatoes and cover with a little straw. As the plants grow, keep putting on more straw until the top is reached. After the plant has flowered and died off, simply lift the tyre and there are your potatoes.
At the moment I have about 8 old tyres that were given to me. I put them down as a line of planters and filled them with potting mix. Planted up with practically anything , they look great. I have succulents in most of mine. As the roots will eventually grow into the soil below, the plants can stay in the tyres indefinitely ..
Posting a pic of mine with succulents, climbing geranium and even a few self sown valerian. These are in the full sun for most of the day.
happy gardening .