Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Ornamental Sweet Potatoe ?, 0 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

In reply to: Ornamental Sweet Potatoe ?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ornamental Sweet Potatoe ?
HollyAnnS wrote:
Hi Guys, I'm Back, Pulling and storing OSP. Well the last two years I had a few that were left sitting out on a shelf in my laundry room in small brown paper bags. They overwintered there very nicely and I got a lot of new starter shoots from them. Plenty of plants to pass around. Last year I tried storing a lot of them in a 5 gal plastic bucket with peat moss. Although they all looked good comming out of the bucket none of them rooted for me they all rotted. I had planted mine in window boxes and pulled the potatoes out when the boxes died which would have been around the first frost. I did get a few flowers on some of the ones in the window boxes. My DIL collected a few seeds from them this year I guess we will see if they germinate for her. This year I planted one each Blackie and Margarita in the veggie garden just to see how many potatoes I could get to winter over for next year. I'll be digging them up as soon as I can. I now that OSP are used a lot in landscaping farther down south but man they were everywhere. Planted a lot with Cannas. Very pretty the lime green Margaritas with the very colorful Cannas. Funny, last year I planted one in a pot with a Canna. It looked nice but it sure is different seeing whole masses of them.
Chantell, They would look great planted at the base of your orphan Ficus. I pinched a very pretty Coleus from the Timeshare we were staying at. It was definitely out of balance and the gardeners would have cut it back any way. (Or that's what I keep telling myself. LOL Well we had a great time and I have a ton of pics that I will be posting later along with a trip review. I have a lot of work to do better get outside and start digging those potatoes.
Here is a shot from a Nursery near Myrtle Beach I really liked them in the bed with the impatients.