Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Agastache and Salvia on sale at Home Depot!!, 0 by Marilynbeth

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Marilynbeth

In reply to: Agastache and Salvia on sale at Home Depot!!

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Agastache and Salvia on sale at Home Depot!!
Marilynbeth wrote:
Leslie,

It does sound like you have a variety of Stokes Aster. I have the 'Blue Danube' variety. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82673/

Mine isn't blooming right now and I don't have a photo in PF yet, but the color of mine is just a shade lighter than the first pic in PF.

I googled Stokes Aster, and I found some links for you to look at 'to know it better'.

Here's a link titled "How to Grow Stokes Aster (Stokesia Laevis)"

http://www.ehow.com/how_7397_grow-stokes-aster.html

Here's another link I found for you, titled "Stokesia laevis". It also has 2 photos on the link below.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/stok_lae.cfm

Here's another link from the Missouri Botanical Garden that is for title Stokesia laevis 'Purple Parasols' variety, but you can still get general information on Stokes Aster. It shows 3 photos.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?cod...

From the Lazy S'S Farm Nursery website (one of my favorite mail order companies) they have different varieties and I like the fact that they write comments with their plants and varieties (on mostly all their plants, if not all). Very informative and interesting. This link is from their "S" plants'

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Perennials/S_files/S.htm

"If you don't have at least one Stokes Aster you're missing one of the most blooming Perennials in the trade. They're just blooming machines! And is as pie to grow! And they're Native! Deadheading encourage a flower display from early summer through September.

Stokesia laevis 'Blue Danube' Stokes Aster Zone: 4-9

A classic - blue with a white center. 2-3" wide fluffy deep sky blue flowers on erect stems growing 12-18" tall and an 8" tall evergreen rosette. 'Blue Danube' is very erect and doesn't flop as some do. Good drought tolerance. Appreciates winter mulch in the the colder parts of its range.

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 12-18" W: 12-18" B/M: Deep Sky Blue/6-9

Stokesia laevis 'Color Wheel' PP12718 Stokes Aster Zone: 4-9

An incredible look for a Stokesia! Blooms start white in mid-May, gradually changing thru shades of gradually darkening lavender finally ending in purple. During this time new white blooms are forming so at any given time, all 5 distinct colors are present -- the Color Wheel! An introduction from the best brothers in the trade -- Saul Brothers of Atlanta. Deadhead to promote continued bloom and remember, no winter waterlogged soil for Stokesias. Drought tolerant.

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 12-18" W: 12-18" B/M: See above/6-9

Stokesia laevis 'Klaus Jelitto' Stokes Aster, Blue Zone: 4-9

Unusual lacy, cornflower-like flowers at the stem tips. Evergreen, basal rosettes. Highly decorative border plant & good cut flower. Takes summer heat or winter cold w/ ease. Needs well-drained soil. Klaus Jelitto features HUGE 4" powder blue blooms. Superb!

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 12-18" W: 12-18" B/M: Powder blue/6-9

Stokesia laevis 'Mary Gregory' Stokes Aster, Yellow Zone: 4-9

Uniquely colored Stokes Aster -- Yellow blooms just keep on coming if deadheaded. Great cut flowers, beautiful in the border, evergreen and huge flowers. Introduced by Niche Gardens. This is such a color breakthrough for Stokes Asters.

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 12-18" W: 12-18" B/M: Yellow/6-9

Stokesia laevis 'Purple Parasols' PP10660 Stokes Aster Zone: 4-9

A selection of one of our best Native Plants - Stoke's Aster. The bloom starts out initially light blue, becoming darker blue, then bluish purple to reddish purple and finally dark hot pink. Deadhead to keep it blooming all summer and remember, no waterlogged winter soil for this drought tolerant beauty.

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 12-18" W: 12-18" B/M: Purple/6-9

Stokesia laevis 'Silver Moon' Stoke's Aster, White Zone: 4-9

Broad, lance-shaped green leaves with white midveins. Prefers moist, well-drained soil but established plants tolerate poor, dry soil. Maroon fall color. Long-blooming if kept deadheaded. Silver moon has large, silvery white flowers.

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 12-18" W: 12-18" B/M: White/6-9"

Stokesia laevis 'Wyoming' Stoke's Aster, Blue Zone: 4-9

Broad, lance-shaped green leaves with white midveins. Prefers moist, well-drained soil but established plants tolerate poor, dry soil. Long-blooming if kept deadheaded. Wyoming has large, blue flowers. Wyoming self-seeds a lot which is either what you want in a groundcover or not. Others we have seem to self seed less.

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 12-18" W: 12-18" B/M: Blue/ 6-9

Hope I've been of help. Here's a pic of mine (not blooming) I took this 7/29/07. It's on the far lower left of the photo.

Marilyn

This message was edited Aug 30, 2007 8:30 AM