Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Liatrus problem, 0 by aspenbooboo41

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright aspenbooboo41

In reply to: Liatrus problem

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Liatrus problem
aspenbooboo41 wrote:
Flowerlou, could you post a picture of your plant? Did it bloom last year?

Hmmm... very interesting that so many people are experiencing this.
My plant gets sun from about 10am until dark; no herbicide usage by me or neighbor; no fertilizing done in that bed. I have tested out the too dry/ too wet scenarios and have watered/ not watered accordingly, but that has not made any difference whatsoever. This curling business did not start until about 2 weeks ago, before that the stalks were all nice and straight. Edited to add: If it were that the heads were kind of wilting due to lack of water, wouldn't it follow that they would be kind of limp? This is what happens with most plants I have, but the crazy curly heads of the Liatris Spicata are not limp at all- they are just as firm as they should be. The heads on mine change shape slightly almost daily. One day a stalk will be doing a corkscrew, the next it looks like a question mark.

Tabasco, here's my Liatris ligulistylis (far right of pic)- planted last autumn and doing well.. very excited to see it bloom.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 12:18 AM