Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Favorite?, 0 by UniQueTreasures

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright UniQueTreasures

In reply to: Favorite?

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Favorite?
UniQueTreasures wrote:
Hi Ginger. Welcome back.

That's one heckuva photo!

This photo is one of my very favorites this year. It's an Orchid Tree.

My sister Connie and I saw one a couple of months ago at a local nursery. It was head and shoulders above the other plants and in full bloom. After oohing and aahing for several minutes, searching for a price on the pot, we found none. We walked into the main office and were told it was $129. YIKES!!! I liked it, but not THAT much!

Shortly thereafter, we made a trip to San Antonio to visit with our mom. We nursery hopped while there and saw one about half that size. Price was $69. Still too pricey for this goodwill mama.

On the way back to Beaumont, we stopped at RJuddHarrison's house and had a wonderful visit with Randy. He took us to Zone9Tropicals, just down the road from his house. We met Wayne, who really knew his stuff about plants. One of the first plants I spotted on the way into the greenhouse was an orchid tree. I looked at Connie and thought I was going to hyperventilate. I looked at Wayne and asked him how much. This plant was about 1/3 the size of the first one we'd seen. He said he normally sold them for $15 but would sell to me for $10. GASP!!! I told him I wanted 2!!!! I gave the 2nd plant to Connie. She's trimmed off the branches on hers to make it a tree, while I left mine alone and potted it in a container with other things. I've been told that it needs to be overwintered the first 2 years and then it can stay outside. They get to be about 20-30 ft. tall!

I haven't seen many blooms this year, but it's leafing out like crazy.

Just thought I'd share the story so you'd know WHY it's one of my favorites. :-)

The Orchid Tree is in the center of a waybigo clay pot next to the photo insert of the bloom. The photo of the area was taken today. No blooms on the plant right now.

Janet