Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Any blooms yet on your WS seedlings?, 0 by Illoquin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Illoquin

In reply to: Any blooms yet on your WS seedlings?

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Any blooms yet on your WS seedlings?
Illoquin wrote:
Seandor,

I have learned a lot about gardening from DG, but I have even learned more about geography - for instance, I didn't know eastern Washington State was desert. In your case, I had no idea that MA & CT and western PA had such COLD weather so late into April & May. I'm not sure you can expect blooms so early with such cold weather lasting so long into spring.

On the other hand, yes, you need to get those hardy annuals like Bachelor Buttons, Calendula and petunias into the ground as soon as they get their 2nd set of true leaves. They can all take freezing temperatures, at least down to 23 degrees, for a lengthy time -- in our case, it was a WEEK of below freezing temperarures and I had all these in the ground, uncovered and unprotected. (Actually, as I am proofreading this, the petunias were not put out that early because they weren't big enough, but they were out early, and they were very very small.) I would not be surprised if some of them could take an entire winter as baby seedlings if you could keep the leaves from covering them and smothering them, and the rabbits and vermin from eating them. I know pansies are in that category, at least in Indianapolis. I wish I had taken a photo of my planted out seedlings, but most people would wonder why I was posting photos of the ground, since they were nearly invisible, they were so small.

It's depressing to have nothing in bloom when the garden centers are filled with blooming plants.

My Clarkia just started a few days ago, but it is one that likes cool weather and it will only last just a short time, I'm afraid. The garden centers were selling it in bloom a full 6 weeks ago. Here's a pic showing it with Agrostemma 'Milas' which is a violent purple. I am impressed with 'Milas because it is tall, makes a good cut flower, is enjoyed by the sulphur butterflies, and stands up except well. Of course, we've had no rain or wind, so that probably helps. LOL! The color is somewhat off-putting, tho. The fog is a dirty camera lens, sorry.

Suzy